UICB MFA/SLIS MA Application
Application Procedure for the MFA/MA
The application deadline for Fall 2023 start is February 1, 2023.
Please submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants). Be prepared to submit the supplemental materials listed below. Materials should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile on MYUI,
Applicants to the Joint UICB MFA and SLIS MA are expected to apply jointly to both programs. For more information about applying to the SLIS program go here.Students currently enrolled in the SLIS program may apply to the joint program by submitting the materials listed below
UICB MFA Application Supplemental Materials
- A résumé or curriculum vitae
- A one- to two-page statement of purpose which includes specific mention of your professional goals. Describe areas of creative work or research you have completed and what areas you are interested in pursuing.
- A digital portfolio consisting of 15-20 work samples and images of your artwork that best represents your interests, accomplishments and abilities
- Format as a single 15-20 page PDF document containing 15-20 work samples
- Individual pages may include a single piece or multiple views of an item: for example, several page spreads
- Image files should be no larger than 1500 pixels in either direction
- An image list for your digital portfolio including
- Title, date complete, dimensions, materials, edition size (if applicable).
- Application for Graduate Awards
The application requirement section of your Profile includes an electronic letter of recommendation feature. You will be asked to give the contact information for three recommenders including their email on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email giving them instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter.
Materials to send to the Office of Admissions
A set of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements. Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
Office of Admissions
The University of Iowa
107 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1396